Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Judith Emprechtinger <judithemprechtinger>
Date: Monday, October 28, 2002
Choulis Konstantinos <ckoulis [at] vatlib__it> writes

>I would like to know whether there is an efficient system to cover
>microchips applied to books of eighteenth--nineteenth century. I
>mean if there is a kind of adhesive label made of acid free paper
>and a good quality glue. ...

I recommend Linda Blaser's article "Barcoding at the Folger
Shakespeare Library" in the Book and Paper Group Annual vol. 19,
2000.
<URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/conspec/bpg/annual/v19/bp19-28.html>
Although this article is about attaching barcodes and not microchips
to book covers, I wonder if her system could be helpful in your
circumstances. Linda's article explains her system of using a
polyethylene strapping around the back cover of a book and adhering
the barcode to the outside of the strapping.

Judith Emprechtinger
Austrian National Library
Vienna, Austria

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 30, 2002