Subject: Active and passive storage

Active and passive storage

From: Nora Lockshin <misslockshin>
Date: Friday, October 25, 2002
Can anyone clarify as to whether there is a consensus on the
definitions "passive" storage vs. "active"? The terms originate in
climate and microclimate control, but I see the term passive used
much more often, but also in combination with using "active"
materials such as Microchamber board, Silvercloth, zeolites, etc.
The only time I have seen "active storage" in use is in contrasting
forced environment cases (anoxic or air-changing) with "passive"
microclimate boxes in controlled environments, which still seems
"active" if used in conjunction with "active" products. I have
searched CoOL and several glossaries, and would appreciate input.

Nora Lockshin
Book and Paper Conservator

                 Distributed: Friday, October 25, 2002