Subject: Mounting oversize painting

Mounting oversize painting

From: Janelle H Matz <matzjh>
Date: Thursday, October 24, 2002
Due to the lack of painting conservators in Alaska, this inquiry
came to me and I felt that better expertise was on the DistList. A
local painter has received a commission to mount a large  (8' x 12')
oil on canvas painting on a wall in another state.  He plans on
painting the canvas on stretchers here, rolling the canvas for
shipping and then re-mounting.  His main concern is the receiving
wall is curved, both concave and convex.  He envisions mounting
directly to the wall as he is worried that in stretching the canvas,
it would eventually sag.  I thought his two concerns were: the
proper backing material between the drywall and the canvas, and the
proper adhesive. It seems that the mounting would have to take place
in situ.  I would appreciate any ideas anyone can offer; it is
refreshing when a contemporary painter even thinks to ask these
questions with conservation concerns in mind.

Janelle Matz
Collections Manager
Anchorage Museum of History and Art

                 Distributed: Friday, October 25, 2002