Subject: Adhesive for terracotta tiles

Adhesive for terracotta tiles

From: Renita Ryan <ryan.renita>
Date: Thursday, October 24, 2002
Can anyone recommend an adhesive for sticking together broken
terracotta tiles that are part of an outdoors sculpture and subject
to very hot and dry summers and wet and windy winters in Adelaide,
Australia?  In summer the ambient air temperature is regularly over
35 degrees celsius, and I would expect that terracotta tiles in
direct sunlight could heat up to a considerably higher temperature
than the ambient air temperature.  I think that paraloid B72 and B48
do not have a high enough Tg to cope with the hot conditions, and
are likely to fail in this sort of environment.  (Please note that I
am not asking about an adhesive to stick the tiles to the wall, but
am interested in the repair of broken tiles, that is adhering
ceramic to ceramic.)

Renita Ryan
Objects Conservator
Artlab Australia