Subject: Storing saddles

Storing saddles

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Wednesday, October 23, 2002
William L. Hopkins <whopkins [at] uwyo__edu> writes

>We have recently acquired a number of western saddles that are old
>but in reasonably good condition.  The question we are now faced
>with is how to properly long term store these items.  ...

I recently designed a modular storage system for the Minnesota
Historical Society saddle and tack collection that is relatively
inexpensive and easy to create.  It basically consists of a set of
extended custom-built wooden and OSB sawhorses that can fit into
large shelving units, or with slight modification, can be free
standing.  The materials were sealed with two coats of a water-borne
polyurethane coating.  The saddles fit onto carved polyethylene foam
forms that are custom cut for each saddle and padded out with
polyester batting.  The belts and stirrups can hang free, taking
bends and creases out of the leather.  This is really the only way
to store leather saddles without causing permanent distortion and
damage.  Maintenance of moderate and stable relative humidity
conditions is essential to the preservation of leather and should be
as much a priority as proper physical storage.

                 Distributed: Friday, October 25, 2002