Subject: Leafcaster

Leafcaster

From: Stephanie Baily <sbaily>
Date: Tuesday, October 8, 2002
Here at the State Library of Western Australia we are trying to
resurrect the leaf casting machine that was apparently purchased in
the mid-eighties. It is an A.B.A Leaf-casting Machine made in
Israel. It has been out of use in recent times and as a result the
sink area below the wire mesh (those that have one will know)
appears to have a thick coating of dried algae or like green stuff.
There also appears to be a large amount of green/brown corrosion
product along the edges of the mesh. We have tried numerous ways of
getting beneath the wire mesh and cannot due to the tight rubber
seal in place.  Can anybody advise as to a safe cleaning method
and/or a company that services these machines.

Stephanie Baily
Senior Conservator
State Library of Western Australia
Perth WA 6000