Subject: Storing acidic paper

Storing acidic paper

From: Deborah Rohan <deborah.rohan>
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2002
Does anyone have opinions on acid-free versus non acid-free
packaging for already acidic documents? If your documents have a pH
of around 5, and your ordinary packaging is around 5.5, would the
packaging still maintain the original pH, or would they act on each
other? Would a buffered outer wallet be sufficient to protect an
unbuffered folder inside? Is there a standard practice on this?

Acid-free and proactive packaging is so expensive that we should
consider whether it is really strictly necessary in every case. I'd
like to hear any opinions on this.

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 9, 2002