Subject: Flaking oil paint

Flaking oil paint

From: Isabel M.P. Coryat <impa>
Date: Monday, September 30, 2002
I would appreciate your help in this matter. I own an oil painting
dated 1975. I recently noticed hair-line cracks across the entire
surface, they appear flat and the paint seems to be still adhering
to the canvas; there are other areas where the cracks converge to a
point which is slightly raised forming a peak. The paint in those
areas is very fragile and easily flakes off.  My question: Is there
anything or anyway to consolidate those raised areas (by
capillarity??) without pressing down the paint which most likely will
fall off in small bits. I know that dried oil paint cannot be made
flexible or am I wrong in this?

Conservation of oil painting is not my specialty but since I own the
painting and it is not a "museum" piece I would like to tackle the
task myself if at all possible.

P.S. I found a query on consolidation by Rebeca Kench (8/7/01) in
the Cons DistList Archives but no answers to her query.

I would really appreciate any suggestions and advise on the subject.

Isabel M Coryat
Conservation Dept.
Coryat Casting Co
3346 Route 9G