Subject: Joseph-Anton von Gegenbaur

Joseph-Anton von Gegenbaur

From: Richard Pelter <pelter>
Date: Thursday, September 26, 2002
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to the author.

We are about to begin work on a small mural plaque / wall painting
by Joseph-Anton von Gegenbaur (1800-1876). The painting is of a
curious technique involving Giornata, but not using lime plaster or
the usual fresco materials. The technique appears to be similar to
Scagliola, (but without a polished finish). The materials appear to
include pigmented gesso applied with the spatula and brush. (The
materials and media are currently under analysis.) If anyone is
familiar with this artist or technique I would be grateful if they
could contact either:

    Kiffy Stainer-Hutchins
    Senior Paintings Conservator
    khutchins [at] ifacs__co__uk

    Rebecca Ellison
    Paintings Conservator
    rebeccaellison [at] ifacs__co__uk

International Fine Art Conservation Studios Limited
43-45 Park Street
Bristol, BS1 5NL.
+44 117 929 3480 or
+44 117 929 3988
Fax: +44 117 922 5511

               Distributed: Thursday, September 26, 2002