Subject: Sarajevo Haggadah

Sarajevo Haggadah

From: Arabella F. Poston <arabella-poston>
Date: Thursday, September 26, 2002
In Conservation DistList Instance: 16:23 Wednesday, September 25,
2002, I wrote

>I have recently discovered that the conservation of the Sarajevo
>Haggadah has been completed. I wondered if anyone knows who the
>conservator was?

I have managed to answer part of my own query submitted in the
consdist list of Wednesday, 25th September. For those of you
interested in the answer:

Andrea Pataki, a German book Conservator, stabilized the
600-year-old artifact's binding in December 2001. The Sarajevo
Haggadah was last conserved in 19th Century. She visited Sarajevo in
March 2001, when she inspected the ancient book and made
preparations for the planned restoration work. It took her only ten
days to complete her work on the 109 page bleached calf skin
illuminated manuscript.

She said, "The illumination is in a good condition when you think of
the age of the manuscript. The pigments are well fixed. Also the
gold leaf is in a quite good state."

               Distributed: Thursday, September 26, 2002