Subject: Window films

Window films

From: Paul Himmelstein <aandh>
Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2002
Monica Dean <mdean [at] mollybrown__org> writes

>...  We have
>had UV filtering Plexi on our windows since the late '80s, and it is
>time for it to be replaced.  We are in the process of researching
>whether to replace the Plexi again with Plexi or to try the UV film.
>The reason I am attracted to the film is that it also blocks out
>heat (a major problem here in the summer time).  However, the
>windows are historic, and I have heard all of the horror stories
>about windows breaking when film removal was attempted.  Does anyone
>know of anything new on the market that is easier to remove, or are
>we safest staying with the Plexiglas?

Your assumption about Plexi is not necessarily correct.  Unlike
films, UV filtering Plexiglas does loose its filtering qualities as
it ages. Actually, because of its tendency to yellow slightly, it
becomes a better filter over time.  Thus it may not be time to
change your Plexi.  If in doubt, the first thing you might do is
borrow a UV meter and see if you are getting higher than recommended
levels of UV.

Paul Himmelstein

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 25, 2002