Subject: Adhesives for Ethafoam

Adhesives for Ethafoam

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102>
Date: Friday, September 20, 2002
Jerry Fahey <jfahey [at] siue__edu> writes

>Over the years I've used hot glue or water based contact cement to
>adhere Ethafoam for shipping crate packing and collection padding.
>Well, being the 21st century, I'm trying to find something a little
>easier to use. I got in touch with the adhesive folks at 3M and they
>suggested one of their Adhesive Transfer Tapes, #950. It's made
>specifically for adhering foam products.

Although I have not inquired about adhesives specifically for
EthaFoam, one might contact manufacturers, distributors or
converters such as Viscor in Dallas, TX, 800-275-1320 who specialize
in the manufacture of self-adhesive foam products.  Viscor carries a
wide range of foams, including Volara, and will convert then to
self-adhesive roll stock to order.  They also manufacture/distribute
a variety of unsupported, pressure-sensitive adhesives, in various
widths, which we use in the studio for replacement of pressure
sensitive adhesives on labels, etc. and for various lamination
applications.  The acrylic adhesives that we have in stock have not
proven to be very effective on EthaFoam.  But I imagine they could
provide an unsupported, pressure-sensitive in wide rolls, at least
12", that would be. Give them a call, or consult the Thomas Register
for other similar companies.

Steven Prins
Conservator of Paintings
Steven Prins and Company