Subject: Effect of alum on silk

Effect of alum on silk

From: Ekaterina Pasnak <0elp>
Date: Monday, September 16, 2002
From the literature on the mounting of Chinese and Japanese scrolls
on paper and especially silk, I am familiar with the usage of alum
with collagen glue (called dosa in Japanese) to prevent
solubilization of pigments during remounting. It is traditionally
believed that this product accelerates degradation of the support,
making silk dark and brittle. Having an interest in designing an
experiment to test this assumption, I am wondering if any scientific
research has been done on the subject. I am aware that Japanese
scientists have studied the influence of alum on paper but do not
know of any research into the effect of alum on silk.

Ekaterina Pasnak,
Student of paper conservation,
Queen's University, Canada

               Distributed: Thursday, September 19, 2002