Subject: Cleaning limestone and marble

Cleaning limestone and marble

From: Judy Jacob <judy_jacob>
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2002
I am looking for examples of limestone (or marble) buildings or
monuments cleaned with either calcium hypochlorite (swimming pool
bleach) or sodium hypochlorite (household bleach), and cleaned to
reduce biological growth. I am looking for both successful and
unsuccessful cleaning attempts (no names need be attached to
projects) and reasons for the selection of either product.  Do
conservators favor one and contractors another?  Are either of these
products specified in contract documents?  Are there EPA
restrictions on using these products for cleaning buildings or
monuments?  Any information you can give me would be great.

Judy Jacob
Senior Conservator

National Park Service
Northeast Cultural Resources Center
Building Conservation Branch

               Distributed: Thursday, September 12, 2002