Subject: Bulgarian law

Bulgarian law

From: Stefan Belishki <belishki>
Date: Monday, September 9, 2002
A new "Law for the Monuments of Culture" as it is called, is on its
way to be passed in Bulgaria soon. Alas, the regulations in the law
concerning our profession, conservation, are not in accordance with
the current status and the development of the profession in Europe
and around the world. We see no wish in the law to be bound to the
important documents like E.C.C.O. Professional Guidelines, AIC Code
of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice and Definitions of
Conservation Terminology, Pavia Document, Vienna Document, etc.

The project of the law not only disparages conservation as a
profession but by this means is potentially dangerous for the
cultural heritage in Bulgaria. As a secretary of our conservator's
organization I am very much worried about this problem. We are
publishing articles in the press and lobbying in the parliament at
the moment. Very little result so far. Any support from other
organizations in the struggle for better solution in the law will be
warmly appreciated.

Stefan Belishki,
Secretary of the Organization of the Conservators in Bulgaria

               Distributed: Thursday, September 12, 2002