Subject: Spray adhesive

Spray adhesive

From: Linda Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Wednesday, September 4, 2002
David Walker <david [at] talismanrestoration__com> writes

>Does anyone have experience using "workable" matte spray adhesive as
>a consolidant for the surface of very dusty, friable clay objects?
>Certainly it is not reversible for this application and may cause
>some darkening.  Are there other arguments against its use?

Besides the drawbacks you mentioned,  I believe that this treatment
could be problematical.  Most proprietary formulas are of unknown
composition, leading one to wonder what the long-term/aging
properties will be.

Also, the aerosol is comprised of partially solidified resin
particles that would tend to lay on the surface and provide little
penetration.  Depending on the amount deposited (which is difficult
to control), a skin could be formed that later on could begin to
detach, taking some of the soft ceramic surface with it.

Additionally, the common cause of "dusty", friable ceramic surfaces
is the presence of soluble salts, and the effects of a resin skin in
this case could be disastrous.  Others may have found otherwise, but
I agree with you on this and would advise against it.

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98072

                Distributed: Thursday, September 5, 2002