Subject: A death--addendum

A death--addendum

From: Sally Shelton <shelton.sally>
Date: Wednesday, September 4, 2002
Richard Freeman writes

    It it with great sadness that I report the death of Carolyn
    Rose, who passed away last Thursday evening after a long, heroic
    battle with cancer. Carolyn kept information about her illness
    to herself for years. Most of us were unaware of her struggle
    until June, when her condition made it impossible to continue
    her duties as Chair of the NMNH Anthropology Department. Even
    then, she continued working on SI and professional matters
    through the summer, even into her last days.

    We will provide a fuller account of Carolyn's accomplishments
    shortly, along with news about a memorial service planned for
    early October.

    Carolyn's husband, David Von Endt, and their family invite
    Carolyn's Smithsonian and other friends to attend a service this
    Saturday at 11am at the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, 1 Chevy
    Chase Circle (Connecticut Avenue and Western Avenue). Carolyn's
    sister Betsy, a Presbyterian minister, will participate in
    leading the service. There will not be a funeral. A reception
    will follow the church service.

                Distributed: Thursday, September 5, 2002