Subject: Cleaning brass

Cleaning brass

From: Nuala Maguire <nmaguire>
Date: Friday, August 30, 2002
We are a Military Museum with a lot of brass work which was
traditionally highly polished, a lot of the objects have textiles or
other materials attached and are trying to find a way of producing
this result without causing loss of the surface or leaving a residue
which may cause further damage in the future. If you are in a
similar position, or you have found a solution to this problem then
please reply. We usually lacquer pieces after cleaning to prevent
further tarnishing.

Nuala Maguire
Conservation officer
IWM