Subject: Repairing audio cassettes

Repairing audio cassettes

From: Donald J. Page <tobias2>
Date: Wednesday, August 28, 2002
I am assisting the Special Collections librarian and archivist at
Cal Poly Pomona with creating a database for the campus's oral
history tape collection.  One of the master sound cassette tapes,
recorded about 30 years ago, is in need of physical repair.  The
fiber pad mounted onto the area immediately behind the tape strip
has fallen away from its original position.  This pad provides a
cushion in the area where the player tape heads come into contact
with the tape during recording and/or playback.

I need to know what kind of adhesive was originally applied to keep
the fiber pad in place, or what kind of adhesive should now be used
for such purposes which meets current conservation standards (no off
gassing, proper pH, etc.).  I am not an expert in preservation of
sound recordings, so I apologize in advance if I lack the proper
terminology in describing the parts of the cassette.  Thanks for any
suggestions,

Donald Page, Library Assistant IV
University Library
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Pomona, CA 91768
909-869-3170
Fax: 909-869-6922