Subject: Flood damage in the Czech Republic

Flood damage in the Czech Republic

From: Deborah Rohan <deborah.rohan>
Date: Thursday, August 29, 2002
In Britain, a response to the crisis in Prague is being organised by
the Institute of Paper Conservation, and other organisations
including the British Council and (I believe) the UKIC. I am going
to find out if the Society of Archivists is planning anything. The
IPC has set up a fund for donations, and several conservators are
going to Prague very shortly with Mrs. Katarina Powell, a Czech
conservator living in the UK. Stuart Welch of Conservation By Design
is taking some equipment and materials over, and will be able to
demonstrate vacuum packing with the aid of three donated machines.

I was passed a posting from a German site, Archaologie Online, which
described the problems at the Institute of Archaeology (of their
5,000 vol. library, only 600 books are safe, large numbers of maps,
plans and notes need to be rescued, their DNA analysis equipment and
experiments are gone, etc.). It included the address and phone
numbers for the Institute (+44 4202 575 33782; Fax: +44 4202 575
32288), and e-mail number, (arupraha [at] arup__cas__cz) and web page, both
at that time off line. Also a bank account number for direct
transfer of funds (I prefer to go through a body I belong to).

The posting in Conservation DistList Instance: 16:15 Thursday,
August 29, 2002 does not give any communication details for Mrs.
Draserova. If people are to respond, they need to communicate. I
will copy your posting to Kate Colleran at the IPC, but a list of
addresses, e-mail, phone, and Fax: numbers would be invaluable. If
anyone has these, please post them for us.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above was sent to me personally
    but I'm taking the liberty of passing it on, as time is
    obviously of the essence.

    Randolph Stilson responded to my request for the source of the
    info published in yesterday's mailing, providing a means of
    contact

        His name is Thomas Zahn and he is a US citizen,  owner of
        P.A.T.H. Finders, Intl. LLC (Stands for Personal Ancestoral
        Tours and History), a genealogical research and tourism
        company based in Prague.  I am his business partner and
        handle all the communications between here and Prague.  Web
        page is www.pathfinders.cz and e-mail is info [at] pathfinders__cz

        This is indeed timely.  Tom is not on the DistList but folks
        can either contact him directly through his e-mail or can
        send messages through me <dr_cpr_llc1 [at] juno__com>.

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 29, 2002