Subject: Data management for IPM

Data management for IPM

From: Will Jeffers <wjeffers>
Date: Monday, August 26, 2002
Christine Del Re <delre [at] mpm__edu> writes

>We are developing a IPM database using Access.  Because of the
>difficulty in writing coherent reports, we thought to ask others
>what they use.  What do you use to manage your data: database,
>spreadsheet, charts?
>
>We are also currently using a mapping program (Surfer) with our
>database to better visualize data.  Is there anything that works
>extremely well for your specific needs  or situation??  Is there
>anything in the literature that I have overlooked that covers this?

For the past seven years, I've been conducting a pilot monitoring
program in textile storage areas, employing sticky traps and
entering catch data into an Excel spreadsheet.   Using the chart
functions, it is quite easy to track long-term trends in population
levels of potential pest species.  It's my hope that eventually this
data can be correlated to risk of damage to the collections, and
used to formulate a more comprehensive integrated pest management
plan.

I'd be more than happy to share data and/or graphs with anyone on
the DistList.

Will Jeffers
Collections Care Scientific Research Assistant
Department of Scientific Research
Museum of Fine Arts
465 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115