Subject: Displaying works without barriers

Displaying works without barriers

From: Janet Hughes <janet.hughes>
Date: Friday, August 16, 2002
We are aware of several institutions in Australia that have been
experiencing increasing curatorial pressure to display large
3-dimensional works without the use of protective plinths, barriers
or guard rails. This seems largely driven by aesthetic issues
although there are obvious potential concerns for public safety and
the protection of the works of art from damage.  I would appreciate
hearing from anyone in a similar situation (anywhere in the world)
describing how these issues have been dealt with.

In particular it would be useful to hear what consultation processes
have been used and incidents that have occurred.

Janet Hughes
Head of Conservation
National Gallery of Australia
GPO Box 1150