Subject: Green lamp insect traps

Green lamp insect traps

From: Hans Piena <h.piena>
Date: Saturday, August 3, 2002
This past year I have been testing 'normal',  green and several
types of UV lamps for their safety (UV-radiation) and effectiveness
in trapping insects within a museum environment. The case study
included several kinds of flies, moths and carpet beetles. I have
chosen the green lamp because it does not emit so much UV and can be
more safely used near objects. Compared to some types of UV lamps
the green lamp turned out to be more effective in trapping some
kinds of flies. Has anybody had any experience using green lamps or
other colors for trapping insects apart from UV lamps, and does
anybody know a publication on this subject?

Hans Piena
Regional Preservation Centre GOC.
Zutphen, The Netherlands

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 20, 2002