Subject: Documenting cleanliness

Documenting cleanliness

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Tuesday, August 6, 2002
A shared collections storage space has been created by a consortium
of 12 museums in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, with the help of
government subsidies. Conservators from some of the participating
museums have been asked to help write a declaration which each
tenant would sign, affirming that any collections that they will
store at shared space are free of pests, mould and other
contaminants that might harm other collections.  Does anyone have
any ideas on how such a declaration should be worded?  How specific
should the declaration be in describing the kind of contaminants
that we are trying to keep out of the storage space?  I'm concerned
that if the wrong words are chosen, then we may inadvertently end up
barring from the space materials such as plastic objects, which as
the deteriorate may emit chemicals which can be considered harmful
to other collections.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 20, 2002