Subject: Mold on color photographs

Mold on color photographs

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Friday, August 2, 2002
Michael Maggen <maggen [at] netvision__net__il> writes

>We received shipments of 24 color photographs titled "Ground Zero"
>made by the photographer Joel Meyerowitz. These large sizes
>photographs (120 X 90 cm.) were taken on the site of the Twins tower
>shortly after the disaster and during the work of rescue teams.
>
>Upon the opening of the shipment crates we noticed that many
>photographs were infected by mold characterized as many small groups
>of filaments (spores) of whitish colonies. ...

We have been working to develop simple methods to remove mould from
photographic surfaces.  One approach we use has been published in
the recent issue of Topics in Photographic Conservation. It involves
freezing the object and utilizing a thin film of moisture on the
surface to remove the chitin of the mould.  It is a little difficult
to develop the skill at first and we are trying to develop more
uniform guidelines.  If you would like to discuss this further
contact me.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service