Subject: Cotton gloves

Cotton gloves

From: Tom Dixon <tom.dixon>
Date: Tuesday, August 6, 2002
Paul Green <p.r.green [at] leeds__ac__uk> writes

>A colleague of mine recently visited the States and was given some
>lint-free cotton gloves with finger grips to handle manuscript
>material. He found these much better than ordinary lint-free cotton
>gloves or latex rubber gloves. ...

While on the subject of gloves, I'll mention my favorite work-horse
gloves which are off-white silk gloves available at European
oriented ski shops as ski mitten liners.  They are moderately priced
and last well.  The silk is about as thin as the really cheap white
cotton gloves, but much closer weave.  They come in sizes and I've
gotten a perfect fit, which is important to me as my hands are large
with very long fingers and I've yet to find cotton gloves that fit.
The finger sensitivity through the silk is much better than cotton.
Finally, I hand wash them in a bit of soap and water at the sink and
they dry overnight, so they are easy to keep clean if you have two
or three pairs.  I haven't bought any for some time, so hope they
are still available.

Tom Dixon
Chief Conservator
National Gallery of Victoria