Subject: Vinland Map

Vinland Map

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2002
I have to make a correction to my post on the Vinland Map
(Conservation DistList Instance: 16:10 Wednesday, July 31, 2002)
after speaking with Lucy McCrone.  The last paragraph of my comment
contained a reference to possible explanations of different results
by Cahill, et al. and McCrone.  I suggested that early conservation
treatments might have resulted in some "solubilizing" of TiO2.  Lucy
corrected my assumption here, there is no evidence of any early
conservation treatments and Volz, et al. 1981 who I refer to on this
is incorrect in the use of "solubilizing" in terms of what occurs
under certain alcoholic conditions (which, by the way would not have
allowed for the survival of the skin).  Research by others, eg.
Rekoske and Barteau (1997) show that this is a state change.

Niccolo Caldararo

                 Distributed: Tuesday, August 20, 2002