Subject: Book supports

Book supports

From: Mark Hingley <mark.hingley.nro>
Date: Thursday, August 1, 2002
Carol Clausen <clausenc [at] mail__nlm__nih__gov> writes

>We recently ordered a group of foam book supports of the type
>designed by Christopher Clarkson. The foam on all of them was
>crumbly, i.e., when you ran your hand over them, it left particles
>of foam on your hand. The ones we bought maybe 10 years ago have
>never done this. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have
>covers made for them or place something between the book and the
>support?

I have seen the foam type wedges badly faded even where adjacent
windows are UV filtered. An alternative would be the Book Sofa
supplied by Preservation Equipment. These have unbleached calico
inners and detachable washable, museum approved fabric covers as
standard. We have had ours in use for a couple of years now and
washed occasionally, they still look fine.

Mark Hingley
Conservation Section
Norfolk Record Office
Norwich