Subject: Cotton gloves

Cotton gloves

From: Clete Wood <cletew>
Date: Thursday, August 1, 2002
Susan Stock <susans [at] rom__on__ca> writes

>Paul Green <p.r.green [at] leeds__ac__uk> writes
>
>>A colleague of mine recently visited the States and was given some
>>lint-free cotton gloves with finger grips to handle manuscript
>>material. He found these much better than ordinary lint-free cotton
>>gloves or latex rubber gloves. ...
>
>Has anyone analyzed the composition of the 'grips'? Many years ago,
>I found that 'grip marks' were left on silver, indicating the
>presence of sulphur in the grip material. ...

I can identify the source for the gloves RN 65739 with the 84%
cotton and 16% PVC. They are from University Products 800/628/1912.
I have the original box and our Filemaker program tracks the
948-101XL item number.

We started using the gloves around 10 years ago for mountmaking, but
noticed they left dots on the surface of artifacts sealed with
microcrystalline wax. They are used now on glazed ceramics and
glass, but not for metals.

I prefer the basic cotton gloves and can not imagine working in
nitrile gloves for an eight hour day. My finger tip senses would be
nonexistent after excessive moisture and skin shriveling. We only
use those in cases of possible arsenic treated artifacts or hazmat.

Clete Wood
Preservation Consultant
Explus,Inc.
44156 Mercure Circle