Subject: Mold on color photographs

Mold on color photographs

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2002
We received shipments of 24 color photographs titled "Ground Zero"
made by the photographer Joel Meyerowitz. These large sizes
photographs (120 X 90 cm.) were taken on the site of the Twins tower
shortly after the disaster and during the work of rescue teams.

Upon the opening of the shipment crates we noticed that many
photographs were infected by mold characterized as many small groups
of filaments (spores) of whitish colonies. The mold could be seen
better on dark areas of the photographs. The mold spread also on the
white Kapa boards (polyurethane) which were placed between the
photographs as spacers. On the white background of the spacers the
mold was light green (characteristic for Aspergiluse). We took
immediate action for cleaning the infected areas using vacuum
cleaner with the aid of soft brushes. However, many on the
photographs still have light fogy areas, we were considering whether
the use of solvent ethanol or methanol on cotton sponges (in fume
cupboards) could eliminate this fogy effect. Though, we are not sure
about the side effects of these solvents on this plastic paper,(the
prints are matt and were dry mounted on polyester background which
is attached to a transparent plexiglas). We would appreciate any
given advice or help in this matter.

Michael Maggen,
Head of Paper Conservation.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem,