Subject: Chlorine dioxide

Chlorine dioxide

From: Margit J. Smith <mjps>
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2002
After speaking with Pat Weaver-Meyers and getting a lot of good
information from her about the use of chlorine dioxide sachets to
combat mold in the collection, I wonder if anyone else has used this
method and with what kind of success.  Although from my conversation
with Pat, and from reading her article, it seems that chlorine
dioxide used in this fashion is relatively safe, our Health and
Safety office could not wholeheartedly endorse this process since
chlorine dioxide appears on the list of hazardous materials. Any
information will be appreciated.

Margit J. Smith, Asst. Prof.
Head of Cataloging and Preservation
Copley Library