Subject: Mounting large photographs

Mounting large photographs

From: George Schwartz <conservart>
Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2002
Ginny Rosner <grosner [at] indianahistory__org> writes

>Sintra has been recommended by the lab as the substrate to mount the
>photograph, but I cannot find any information on the properties of
>this material. ...

I have used Sintra successfully as a mounting substrate in
situations where archival permanence was not an issue. While it has
some highly desirable properties, I would not be comfortable using
it in conservation without learning more about its properties. It
works best with high-pressure roller laminating equipment and will
warp if used in a heated mounting press. The manufacturer produces
several other boards, some with aluminum skins (Dibond), which have
characteristics worthy of consideration for conservation use.

Here are links to the manufacturer's web site:

    <URL:http://www.alusuisse-comp.com/sinbio_m.html>
    <URL:http://www.alusuisse-comp.com/assets/specs.pdf>

Hope this is helpful,

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
8177 Glades Road #16
Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
561-482-7292
Fax: 561-482-6787