Subject: Marking ceramics

Marking ceramics

From: Smadar Gabrieli <smadar.gabrieli>
Date: Thursday, July 25, 2002
Georgia Fox <gfox [at] csuchico__edu> writes

>Over the years, in writing accession and artifact numbers on
>ceramics and other objects, I have tried using Acryloid B-72 in
>acetone both from my own lab and even the commercially prepared
>variety, but when applying the B-72 over the India ink numbers, the
>ink still smears.  Has anyone found a good formula that keeps the
>ink from smearing?  Is methanol a better base for the B-72  Any
>recommendations?  Many thanks in advance.

I have found that if you use the B-72 in ethanol rather than acetone,
and let the ink dry for at least an hour, and preferably over night,
the ink does not smear.  It is not a question of a better base, but
rather the ethanol acts on the ink more slowly than the acetone.  It
helps if the solution is not too thin, so you don't flood the ink,
and if you cover the ink with one application.  If a second
application is necessary, wait for the first layer to dry
thoroughly.

Smadar Gabrieli
Objects Conservator

                   Distributed: Monday, July 29, 2002