Subject: Converting Vacudyne fumigation chambers

Converting Vacudyne fumigation chambers

From: Jorge Mamede <paesmamede.jmamede>
Date: Sunday, July 21, 2002
Gisela Noack <gisela.noack [at] yale__edu> writes

>Does anyone have experience converting a vacudyne ethylene oxide
>chamber for killing insects into an anoxic chamber, using nitrogen
>or carbon dioxide? Does anyone have a system that allows you to use
>either carbon dioxide or nitrogen? We would appreciate hearing about
>your chambers.

We are a Portuguese company that acts in
conservation/disinfestations areas. We have converted some ethylene
oxide chambers that used to operate in National Library and in
Portuguese National Archives. These chambers started to work in
anoxic conditions 4 years ago and they still work with good results.

The system may work either with CO2 or Nitrogen. CO2 in room
atmosphere, above certain concentrations, may have a bad effect on
people, so outside atmosphere should be controlled (leaks or misused
may occur).

Jorge Mamede
Paes Mamede, Lda.
R. Prof. Dias Valente, 32B