Subject: Mounting large photographs

Mounting large photographs

From: Margot Healey <mhealey>
Date: Thursday, July 18, 2002
Ginny Rosner <grosner [at] indianahistory__org> writes

>Sintra has been recommended by the lab as the substrate to mount the
>photograph, but I cannot find any information on the properties of
>this material. ...

I cant address all of your questions but I can say this: Sintra is a
rigid, "moderately expanded" polyvinylchloride (PVC) board
distributed through Alusuisse Composites
<URL:http://www.alusuisse-comp.com/> . Although it is light-weight,
my experience has been that large photographs mounted on Sintra have
a distinct "orange peel" texture that is quite distracting (and
permanent). I have not observed the orange peel texture on smaller
photographs mounted to Sintra. Hope this helps,

Margot Healey
Paper Conservator
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

                   Distributed: Friday, July 19, 2002