Subject: Pith

Pith

From: Prue McKay <pruem>
Date: Thursday, July 11, 2002
For my final-year student research project in 2001, I looked at some
basic aspects of the conservation of paintings on pith paper.  I
would like to extend this research to look at the subject in more
depth, and also to take in objects other than paintings on pith
(such as pith helmets, artificial flowers, and Hindu religious
decorations and figures).  To that end, I'd be grateful to hear from
anyone who has had experience with the conservation of any objects
made from pith.  My aim is to get an idea of the institutional
holdings of pith objects around the world, as well as conservators'
experiences with treatments.  I'm particularly eager to hear from
conservators in Asian countries.

Please note:  pith paper has been called "rice paper" in the past;
in India, the pith used for carving artefacts is known as "shola".

Prue McKay
Conservator
National Archives of Australia
PO Box 7425