Subject: Publication on 20th century document copying methods

Publication on 20th century document copying methods

From: Sandrine Decoux <sdecoux>
Date: Thursday, July 4, 2002
Ian Batterham <ianb [at] naa__gov__au> writes

>... I am looking at the
>possibility of preparing a publication on 20th Century document
>copying.  ...
>I would appreciate any response from DistList readers to whether
>such a book would be a good idea and also any offers of information,
>leads, examples etc. I am particularly short on information and
>examples relating to some of the more unusual processes eg
>Hectograph, Verifax, Physical Revelation papers, the Eichner
>process, the Ektafax process, the Adherography Process and the
>Imagic Process.

I did some research on Roneo prints (mimeographs) recently, and
found these books/links quite useful:

    Carvalho, David Nunes, 1848-1925.
    Forty centuries of ink; or, A chronological narrative concerning
    ink and its backgrounds, introducing incidental observations and
    deductions, parallels of time and color phenomena, bibliography,
    chemistry, poetical effusions, citations, anecdotes and curiosa
    together with some evidence respecting the evanescent character
    of most inks of to-day and an epitome of chemico-legal ink.
    New York, Banks Law Publishing Co., 1904.
    (available online as: Forty Centuries of Ink, The World Wide
        SchoolTM, 1999,
        <URL:http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/
            tech/printing/fortycenturiesofink/toc.html>

    The Dead Media Project
    <URL:http://www.deadmedia.org/>

    The Early Office Museum(tm),
    <URL:http://www.officemuseum.com/copy_machines.htm>

    Graham, Peter
    Mimeograph and its competitors
    (posting on ExLibris, a rare books and special collections
    forum), 13 May 1995,
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/
        exlibris/1995/05/>

    Kissel, Eleonore and Vigneau, Erin
    Architectural Photoreproductions: A Manual for Identification
    and Care, Oak Knoll Press/The New York Botanical Gardens, 1999.

    Laurence, Kevin
    The Exciting History of Carbon Paper!, 1995
    <URL:http://website.lineone.net/~kml123/cc.htm>

    Melbourne Museum of Printing
    Glossary of Printing and Typography
    <URL:http://home.vicnet.net.au/~typo/glossary>

    Proudfoot, W.B.
    The Origin of Stencil Duplicating
    Hitchinson, London, 1972.

    Rhodes, Barbara and Streeter, William Wells
    Before Photocopying. The Art and History of Mechanical Copying.
        1780-1938
    Oak Knoll Press, New Castle, Delaware, 1999.

        **** Moderator's comments: The above URLs have been wrapped
        for email. There should be no newline

                   Distributed: Tuesday, July 9, 2002