Subject: Wood sealants Shelving

Wood sealants Shelving

From: Hugh Glover <hglover>
Date: Friday, June 28, 2002
Scott K. Kellar <skkellar [at] earthlink__net> writes

A printer friend asked me how to make a wooden enclosure safe for
storing printed paper. Is there a sealant that is considered safe
and effective for this purpose?

and Deborah Perotti <deborah_perotti [at] moma__org> writes

>Does anyone know where to locate standards for library shelving? I
>searched CoOL but did not see info. on wood shelving and library
>materials. We are putting up wood shelving in our reading room and
>planing to use oil based paint on the shelves. Will the oil based
>paint off gas and affect the books?

I believe that discussions of the problems and answers to both
queries will be found in CCI Technical Bulletin 21 "Coatings for
Display and Storage in Museums". Hugh Glover.  Williamstown. MA

                  Distributed: Wednesday, July 3, 2002