Subject: Spraying Wei T'o solution

Spraying Wei T'o solution

From: William Minter <wmntr>
Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2002
On behalf of a colleague, Lisa Fox <foxl [at] sosmail__state__mo__us> writes

>    I am looking for ideas on methods of spraying Wei T'o solution.
>    First I tried the aerosol cans from the manufacturer. They clog
>    too often and result in a lot of waste. Next I tried buying the
>    solution in quart bottles and applying it with a Crown SpraTool.
>...  Has anyone successfully
>    tried a paint sprayer or airbrush and compressor?

According to the manufacturer, they now have a solution for
unclogging the spray cans. You can contact them.

As to spraying in another manner, as I too have tried, the
unfortunate problem with the Wei T'o solution is that any moisture
will cause an eventual clog. I am guessing that simply opening the
bottle and transferring it to another container is where many of our
troubles originate. The best way/the most economical way to use the
Wei T'o solution is in the four gallon "Soft Spray" cylinders.
Although there are some additional costs for the spray gun, it is
far better than the spray cans.

I might also say that we have sprayed many, many cylinders of "Soft
Spray" without a clog. At the end of the day, we would clean the
system with alcohol, then vinegar, then alcohol again. We did not
use the "Cleaning Solution" as supplied by the manufacturer. When
cylinders were changed, we would purge the lines of any air to
reduce the possible source of moisture that might cause a clog.

Additionally, I believe, that the spray gun should have a second
valve that would permit cleaning the tip if it should become
clogged. I investigated this idea a number of years ago, but did not
follow through. Maybe the manufacturer has a better system now.

Bill Minter
William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045