Subject: Identifying photocopy method

Identifying photocopy method

From: Joselle Merritt-Dennis <joey0615>
Date: Thursday, June 27, 2002
I am currently doing an internship at the Graduate Theological Union
in Berkeley.  I am an MLIS student at SJSU. I have found a folder of
copies on a very strange paper.  The archivist here has never seen
them before either. They appear to be copies of a journal by
Phinneas Quimby (mid-1800's).

The copies were probably made in the 1970's (?).  They are darkening
evenly and appear to have a very thin layer of what looks like
tin-foil in the center of the paper.  I can tell because when the
corners bend or tear or the sheets are scraped the metal shows
through.  On both sides of this metal layer is paper.  What is this
copy paper that these copies been made on and what is the best way
of preserving it.

Joselle Merritt-Dennis
Student
SJSU, MLIS program