Subject: Spraying Wei T'o solution

Spraying Wei T'o solution

From: Scott K. Kellar <skkellar>
Date: Friday, June 21, 2002
On behalf of a colleague, Lisa Fox <foxl [at] sosmail__state__mo__us> writes

>    I am looking for ideas on methods of spraying Wei T'o solution.
>    First I tried the aerosol cans from the manufacturer. They clog
>    too often and result in a lot of waste. Next I tried buying the
>    solution in quart bottles and applying it with a Crown SpraTool.
>    This is a can of propellant that is attached to a spray head and
>    an 8oz. plastic cup to hold the solution. It was better (and
>    cheaper) than the aerosol, but far from perfect. There are still
>    some clogs, and the spray becomes uneven as the propellant is
>    used up or the can becomes chilled. Has anyone successfully
>    tried a paint sprayer or airbrush and compressor?

While Collections Conservator at Northwestern University I developed
a system for spraying deacidification solution with the use of a CO2
tank. The pressurized tank was connected to a drying filter which
connected to a professional paint spray tank. The solution, which
was not Wei'To but very similar, was in the tank and expressed
through a spray gun using a fume hood. The dry CO2 seemed to be a
great propellant that caused us no problems with clogging.

Scott Kellar
Chicago

                  Distributed: Thursday, June 27, 2002