Subject: Metal corrosion

Metal corrosion

From: Amy McKune <amckune>
Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2002
We have a pair of leather boots in our collection that are showing a
bright blue corrosion on the metal nails in the sole.  The corrosion
appears to be thicker than the actual metal head of the nail.  Does
anyone know if this is harmful to the metal or the leather of the
boots?  If so, is there a safe way to remove it?  From what I have
read on this subject, the storage we have (enclosed Interior Steel
cabinet in climate-controlled storage room) is optimal to retard
further corrosion.

Amy McKune, Registrar
Museum of the Rockies
Montana State University