Subject: Arsenic

Arsenic

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Monday, June 17, 2002
Sheilah MacKinnon <sheilahmac [at] hotmail__com> writes

>John Gavin <johnnywyoming [at] hotmail__com> writes
>
>>The museum has been offered a rare Wyoming Mountain sheep mount. How
>>or where can I get a kit (or other tool) to check for arsenic. If
>>arsenic is present can it be removed?
>
>Just thought you might be interested to know that there is a
>Conserve O Gram, Number 2/3, from July 1993 entitled  "Arsenic
>Health And Safety Update". It has information on the health related
>effects, handling, storage, and use precautions,and procedures for
>identification of arsenic.
>
>Conserve O Gram can be found at
>
>    <URL:http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/
>        publications/conserveogram/cons_toc.html>

A more recent series of articles on testing, handling, storage and
identification of pesticide contaminated objects appears in several
issues of Collection Forum (see volume 16 especially for the results
of a conference on this topic).  You can access the volumes online
via Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
<URL:http://spnhc.org/>.

Niccolo Caldararo
Dept. of Anthropology
San Francisco State University