Subject: Source for chicory root sought

Source for chicory root sought

From: George Brock-Nannestad <pattac>
Date: Friday, June 7, 2002
Rise Taylor <rise [at] imv__uit__no> writes

>As a professional courtesy for a colleague who is not on the
>DistList (Knut Mikelsen, stringed instrument restorer), I am looking
>for a source of "roasted chicory root, which he uses as a stain.

The most well-known source would be "coffee Ersatz", i.e. the
additive used during WW2 and by the less wealthy to "stretch"
coffee. In Denmark, "Richs" is still available. However, according
to the 1952 edition of "Meyers Vareleksikon" (a Danish commercial
handbook of commodities) 1-5% of a vegetable oil may be added in
connection with the roasting, and this might preclude the use of the
commercial product for staining. The chicory is the variety
cichorium intybus.

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics
Resedavej 40