Subject: Storage of works of art on paper

Storage of works of art on paper

From: Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <schaudt>
Date: Monday, May 20, 2002
I am interested in purchasing wooden flat files to store drawings,
watercolor paper and paintings, and mat board.

I had been using home built wooden stacking trays.  They were built
from plywood, pickled, and sealed with several coats of clear
lacquer. Within months, the bottom several papers had yellowed from
chemicals in/on the wood.

If I were to purchase new wooden flat files, can you recommend a
liquid or spray that can be applied to the insides of the files to
prevent the deterioration of paper?  Or something to line the files
with?

I have tried storage in metal files, but they have rusted due to the
high humidity where I live.

Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt
Botanical/Scientific Illustrator
Nautilus Fine Art Studio