Subject: Water purification

Water purification

From: Cynthia Ostroff <cynthia.ostroff>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2002
We are in the process of purchasing a new de-ionized water system
for our lab.  Does anyone have advice or information about the best
substance to use for re-calcification?  Our vendor has recommended a
product called "Neutralizer", which is a marble chip with a
guaranteed content of 95% (minimum) calcium carbonate and 3% (max) of
magnesium carbonate.  The filter containing this substance will be
followed by a 2 micron particle filter (and preceded by various pre
filters). Also, we often disbind and wash whole books--does anyone
use re-calcified (pH 7) de-ionized water for washing?

Cindy Ostroff
Conservation Studio
Yale University
203-432-1711