Subject: Outdoor sculpture

Outdoor sculpture

From: Marta Leskard <conservation>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2002
This summer, the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada, is
host to the 1st International Sculpture Symposium. This event, which
opened last Saturday (May18) will run until September with 20
commissioned and 80 to 100 non-commissioned sculptors working in
nine communities throughout the valley. The legacy from this event
will be at least 20 large-scale outdoor sculptures which will be
exhibited in the communities in which they were produced. Works are
being produced in bronze, steel, concrete, earth, granite, marble
and jade (<URL:http://www.sculpturesymposium.com>).

At this point, while there has been great commitment on the part of
the communities involved to financially support the symposium during
the event, there has been little or no thought as to the on-going
preservation of the sculptures in the future. As the only
conservator in any of these communities (at the Kelowna Museum) I am
concerned with the probable future of these pieces. I will be
speaking at an event of the symposium on the need for conservation
and maintenance and the associated costs. As well I am preparing a
conservation and maintenance plan for the public art of the City of
Kelowna.

While there are a number of public art policies and guidelines
available, I would be interested in acquiring as much information as
possible on needs, costs, horror stories and successes. The more
ammunition the better as I am afraid that budgeting for conservation
has not been in any of the communities' plans and I am tired of
seeing Public Works crews "treat" outdoor art with Tremclad paint
or, worse, junking sculptures because no care has been taken. I
would especially like information from anyone who has dealt with
monumental jade sculpture--the piece being carved now will be the
world's largest, made from BC jade, and it will be exhibited
outdoors.

Guidelines and policies as well as pertinent conservation
information can be sent to me at conservation [at] kelownamuseum__ca

Thank you for your help and, if you are looking for an interesting
place to spend your summer vacation, come join us in the world's
largest art gallery--200 kilometers long.

Marta Leskard
Conservator
Kelowna Museum
470 Queensway Avenue