Subject: Desogen and Dimanin

Desogen and Dimanin

From: Walter Henry <consdist-request>
Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2002
Offline, Lisa Bruno <lbruno [at] hotmail__com> wrote

>Pierlucio Pellissier <ppellissier [at] videotron__ca> writes
>
>Could someone direct me to a supplier of Desogen (Ciba-Geigy) or
>Dimanin (Bayer), possibly in Canada or N.A.
>
>As you well know both are quaternary ammonium salts used in the AB
>57 solution to clean and disinfect mural paintings.
>
>>Desogen is a brand name for a birth control pill manufactured by
>>Organon. It contains desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol.  Are you
>>sure this is what you are looking for?

I was surprised by this too (I'd never heard of Desogen until I
searched Google to check the spelling before posting Pierlucio
Pellissier's item to the DistList), but I think he does indeed mean
Desogen. See

    Jason L. Metcalfe
    "Conservation at Mission San Xavier del Bac"
    WAAC Newsletter, Volume 15, Number 3, Sept 1993, pp.20-23
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
        waac/wn/wn15/wn15-3/wn15-308.html>

        **** Moderator's comments: The URL above has been wrapped
        for email. There should be no newline

   "The treatment of the sculptures entailed similar techniques.
    Some figures required consolidation due to lifting paint and
    detached glass eyes. The cleaning was performed using wool pads
    soaked in solutions of water, alcohol, and ammonia (less than
    5%) used individually or in a combination when required. Desogen
    was added to the solutions in order to increase surface contact
    and solvent action; the treated areas were further cleaned with
    water to remove any traces of the remaining solvents. Areas of
    overpaint were removed with a solvent mixture of dimethyl
    formamide:amyl acetate:butylamine (1:1:1).  Stucco repairs were
    administered to losses visible from ground level of the chapel,
    and minute losses in the hands and faces were filled with a
    gesso of calcium sulfate. Selective toning and reintegration was
    performed using Winsor and Newton glazes with Maimeri varnish
    colors mixed with Paraloid B-72."

Walter

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 22, 2002