Subject: Deterioration of microfilm

Deterioration of microfilm

From: Beth Bilderback <l700024>
Date: Friday, May 17, 2002
I am posting this for a colleague, Susan Dick
<sdick [at] georgiahistory__com>

    The Georgia Historical Society surveyed its microfilm
    collections and found a large number of rolls which were
    deteriorating due to vinegar syndrome. We have begun the
    systematic isolation and replacement of the worst offenders (the
    3s). We recently received the first shipment of replacement
    film. My question is this: Should we or shouldn't we clean the
    baked enamel microfilm filing cabinets before putting the new
    film in? (We are segregating the 2s, so the newbies will be in
    with the zeros and ones). I am concerned about any lingering
    "contagion" in the cabinets and how it might affect the new
    film. Furthermore, if we should clean it, how would we do that?
    Thank you for your help.

    Susan Dick
    Georgia Historical Society

Beth Bilderback