Subject: Coromandel chest

Coromandel chest

From: Cliff Fountain <cfountain>
Date: Friday, May 17, 2002
I have a (private) client who owns a 19th century Chinese chest with
doors that are decorated in the manner of Coromandel screens.  In
areas where the wood has moved (the central joint of the door panel,
the junction of the panel and door frame), the paint and substrate
has become partially detached.  In my reading, I learned that the
substrate is actually a thin layer of clay that is baked onto the
wood before adding decoration or painting.  If this is true, it must
be *extremely* low-fired clay, more like sun-baked.  I'm trying to
decide on a consolidant to readhere the clay/paint to the wood.  I
understand that none of them will be truly reversible, but would
like some input on which will work the best, and offer the least
possibility of damage.  There is nothing in the DistList Archives
concerning Coromandel.

If anyone has worked extensively with Coromandel artifacts, I would
appreciate hearing your choice, and rationale for it.

Is it reasonable to assume that the varnish is urushi?

Clint Fountain
The Museum of Florida History
Tallahassee FL

                   Distributed: Monday, May 20, 2002